Bluebellgray is a creative, independent retailer based in Glasgow, specialising in beautiful hand painted designs which are then transformed into a variety of products across textiles and homewares. Our design studio is based in the heart of Hyndland and is a dream destination for those with a love for colour and appreciation of beautiful aesthetics.
A very rare opportunity has become available for a creative Product Designer to join our design team. We are looking for someone talented and creative who can design and develop multiple products from concept through to production. This role is very nuanced, and will cover a variety of skill sets. The main focus of this roll involves working from pre-existing original artwork to develop a variety of products across multiple categories, product branding, graphics creation (various) and liaising with mills for development and sign off. This role will also also involve working with our licence partners on various projects, as well as supporting the development of new areas of growth within the business including new categories and brands which we will be launching this year.
The full design process from start to finish is created from our studio in Scotland. We work towards creating both commercial and aspirational designs, sometimes for a variety of customers, often under pressure and across a few seasons at a times so you will need to have a good understanding of timelines, liaising with factories, product knowledge and have a good eye for detail.
You should be able to work both independently and as a part of a collaborative team to get projects and collections completed on time and to a high standard.
This role often requires tight deadlines and involves a wide variety of projects so our dream candidate is also organised, flexible, has excellent time management and communication skills and who has a sympathetic and practical approach to design.
Responsibilities and duties:
- You will create prints, graphics and artwork from pre-existing paintings to be used across multiple product categories using Adobe suite (PS, AI, INDD)
- Create graphics across a variety of product packaging, as well as graphics for other areas of the business such as web and retail where required. Understanding the nuances and aesthetics of graphic design for a brand like ours is so important, as this is what the customer will see first when they step into our store, view our range of products, and when their online order arrives at their door so our handwriting must reflect a cohesive and well put together look across all areas of the business.
- Provide factory ready artwork and files to send to mills
- Follow each stage of development through to sign-off (design, costings, sample requests, tracking, sign off, packaging and production)
- Liaise directly with mills and our business partners across a variety of channels. Our aim is to continue to grow the great relationships we have with our supply base, business partners and associates which is a key part of our successful working relationships.
- Design studio organisation, including sample tracking, logging and filing, digital filing systems all need to be organised and kept up to date
- Original Art Archive maintenance. A continual work in progress, its our mission to have a well organised and up to date design archive, were we can peruse all the beautiful designs when we need new inspiration for a new colour palette, pattern, or simply some painting inspiration. We often delve back into our original artwork archive to see if there is anything we might want to reimagine in a new way so it's important that this is kept up to date and organised. This will be a regular and key aspect of the role that you will be responsible for.
- Confident in presenting ranges internally and externally. You must be confident presenting ideas and receiving feedback/ guidance from Head of Departments and Directors of the business as well as external clients and customers where required.
- As we are a small studio, we sometimes need to offer support between team members where necessary and can vary depending on the needs of the business.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop and Indesign
- Adobe Illustrator advantageous
- Canva beneficial but not essential
- Licensing experience beneficial but not essential
- Proficient in Excel
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- 2-3 years relevant industry experience
How to Apply:
- Full times studio based role. Due to the nature of this role, we require someone who is able to work full time from our Glasgow Studio.
- Hours 9-5pm Monday to Friday (4pm finish on a Friday)
- Initial submission deadline for applications: 5pm, Friday 3rd June 2022
- Please email your CV, salary expectation and relevant images and/or links to [email protected]
- Only successful candidates will be contacted within 2 weeks of this submission deadline.
- Please submit salary expectations upon application along with 4-6 images of any relevant work or links to portfolios where relevant.